Friday, November 16, 2007

The colours bleed together and fade

Well, holy shit. Two posts within the same week. How often does that happen? Not very. But it should. Happen often, that is. I'm trying, I promise.

I saw "Rent" at the auditorium on Tuesday. It was...how shall I say...fucking amazing. The music was great, of course. The acting was awesome. For the first time, I genuinely appreciated the "Over The Moon" scene. I mooed with Maureen. Not much can beat that experience.

Oh, right, unless you're Kate and just happen to talk to the girlfriend of an actor who just happens to need to get rid of her front-row ticket and...yeah. That girl has the best luck sometimes. And you know, I'm not even any kind of jealous, and I'll tell you why. First of all, as much as front-row tickets to "Rent" would be a thousand kinds of fabulous, I don't think my senses could handle it. Honestly. Even sitting in the balcony, I left the theatre with a bit of a headache. Second of all, I certainly appreciate "Rent." A lot. I knew it was going to be fucking amazing. After seeing it from the front row, Kate loved it--and this is the girl who laughs at me when I cry during the movie version. I was absolutely thrilled that she liked the play so much.

Anyway, I'm still listening to Brandi Carlile, and I expect to for quite some time. Makes me happy.

I've had a cold for a couple days. I saw it coming. As soon as I felt the tiniest bit of a sore throat, I was like "Well shit, there goes the rest of this week." Fortunately, it was nowhere near as bad as the last cold I had. That last one thoroughly kicked my ass. This one...eh. Kind of a wuss.

Riding the 6 bus home today was an interesting experience. The driver was kind of batshit crazy. I'm pretty sure he was driving well over the speed limit, and he took curves dangerously sharply. It was like being in one of those race-car video games where you don't really have to follow the road perfectly, as long as you sort of stay on track. Also, the driver ran over a few things that could have either been random debris, woodland creatures, or small children. Every time he ran over something, he'd yell "wahoooo!" It was a little disconcerting. I felt like I was on the Super Mario Death Bus, which would actually make an interesting video game. Take note, Nintendo.

Katie and I watched "Bambi" tonight. It was the first time I'd seen it, even though I knew very well what happened to his mom. And yeah, it made me cry. Just a little. Very little. Because I was busy critiquing the freakishly trippy animation. The owl has bear legs. I swear it. Bear legs and eyes like psychedelic suns. I guess nobody knew how to draw owls in the '40s. Or maybe they figured kids wouldn't give a shit. Well, I do.

Still, it was a very good movie.

I am currently reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. It's great. Funny as hell and kind of makes you think about stuff. Once I'm done with that I'll move on to a couple Celia Rivenbark books, which I've heard are hilarious as well. I just finished Bill Bryson's latest book, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. I love Bryson's books. With a fiery, all-consuming passion. This one was no exception. I'm so glad I've started reading again. For the past couple years I haven't done much reading for pleasure other than all the shit I read on the Internet, so I figured it was time to rebuild my literacy.

There are few sounds I like better than the combination of cello and acoustic guitar (or piano). Really, anything with a cello. That's what I should've played in high school, I know it. I mean, the violin's great, and I guess I was more of a violin-person in high school, but now I feel like I should be a cellist. In the orchestra, the cello isn't exactly the background instrument--well, okay, sometimes--it's more a complement to the melody. First violins generally get the melody, and second violins provide their harmony. Cellos generally get the secondary melodic part, and violas provide their harmony. Basses are the backbone of the orchestra, ideally holding everyone together (I say "ideally" because the bassists in my orchestra rarely did). I was always a second-violinist, and I always aspired to be a Violin I. I didn't like existing just to back someone up, but then again I've never been one to crave the spotlight. It would suit me more to play the part that isn't immediately noticeable but beautiful when you do notice it. That's what I like to think of myself, anyway.

So, anyway, I should probably sleep. I'm not tired yet, but a bit of NyQuil should take care of that.

No comments: