Friday, June 1, 2007

An awkward intro

Since this is my Official First Post, I figure I should probably give a general rundown of who I am, why I'm here, and perhaps some other assorted things. There really isn't a good way of doing this without it being all awkward and corny, so I guess I'll dive right in.

I'm a 20-year-old college student. Right now, since it is summer vacation (boooo), I spend most of my time as a cashier at Value City. Today was my second day, so I guess I'm not qualified to say whether or not it sucks. So far, so good. The pay isn't too bad. When I'm not working, I'm usually stringing beads. Well, sort of. I do quite a bit of beadwork, not all of which involves actual string. This summer my big project is a bouquet of French beaded flowers that will serve as a decoration somewhere in my apartment in August. I'm pretty excited for the apartment, by the way. I'm going to be living with my two sisters/best friends (to clarify, we're very close friends who consider each other sisters), Kate and Farzana. They're wonderful people, I promise.

Other things about me...I'm kind of a nerd. There is that. Oh, and I'm a lesbian. Not the raging bull-dyke kind, and not the trendy-punk kind either. And certainly not the hippie-vegan kind. I guess I'm just a regular girl who happens to like girls. I don't have a girlfriend; in fact, I've never dated. It's been kind of hard to find people to date here in the middle of the Bible Belt, you know? Speaking of the Bible, as an awkward segue, I am a Christian. That's right: I'm a lesbian AND a Christian. Shall I be burned at the stake now or later? I don't know how much I'll be writing about things relating to religion, though. It's kind of a private thing for me. I'll see what I can do. I guess if it's on my mind, I'll write about it. Probably.

As for family and friends and things...for now I live with my parents and three younger siblings. Brian's 17, Julie's 15, and Amy's 12. Also we have a psychotic 6-year-old Bichon Frise who once ate half a chocolate cake. I already mentioned my friend-sisters, Kate and Farz. I still keep in touch with a few high school friends (Brittany, Navah, Nayt, etc.) because they're cool people. I've made some excellent friends in college as well (I would list names but there are about a billion, and I'm not trying to leave anyone out, but it's 3am and I really need to get to bed soon).

Come to think of it, oh shit. I have an optometrist appointment tomorrow at 11:15, which means waking up at 9:30, which is in...6 1/2 hours. I am going to die.

I've been in Greenwood for just about 4 weeks. Only about 11 or 12 more until I get to move back to Bloomington. It can't come soon enough.

This post was really, really awkward. I promise I don't always write like an eighth-grader.

Fun fact: When I was six years old, I collected empty toilet paper rolls and drew people on them. Once I brought them to school for show-and-tell.

Fun lie: William Howard Taft had venomous fangs and a three-inch tail.

That is all. Goodnight and love to all.

No comments: